Moving Your World

FCL 20ft & 40ft Containers

Shipping Container to Canada | Moving to Canada from Australia

Shipping 20FT 40FT Containers & Less than Container Loads (LCL/Shared Container Services) to Canada

Moving your goods from Australia to Canada can be stress and hassle free with our comprehensive, friendly and reliable shipping services that helps returning nationals and first time settlers with their home contents relocation.

Whether you are moving your possessions to any of the popular Canadian ports: Vancouver, Halifax, Montreal , Calgary or to inland destinations within: Alberta, British Colombia, Manitoba, Ontario, Saskatchewan, Quebec we can provide all the shipping services you require while offering competitive international shipping rates. We offer optional services such as professional packing, loading and can arrange for marine transit insurance. Whether you are after a Door to Port, Door to Door or another combination we can assist your move with sole-purpose 20ft and 40ft shipping container options, or,  Less than a Container Load (LCL) shared container services to Canada while offering especially affordable sea-freight rates to: Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Regina, Saskatoon, Toronto, Vancouver and Winnipeg

What documents do I require when moving to Canada?

Customs clearance for used personal effects entering Canada can only be completed by the private person/individual who is importing the goods//moving to Canada.

You will need to present a comprehensive packing list too customs upon entry into Canada to declare cargo coming in after your arrival via air or sea, the customs officer will complete a BSF186 personal effects accounting document, you can find this document here. Once the officer has completed the BSF186 they will assign a reference number and provide you with a copy as a receipt.

The owner must be available to clear when the goods arrive to avoid storage or demurrage charges.

See more information about this at the CBSA page:

How do I import my motor vehicle into Canada?

Importing a vehicle into Canada (please view the detailed PDF guide by the CBSA from the bottom of this page)

If you wish to import a new vehicle into Canada it will be on the condition that it is designed, manufactured, tested and certified to meet the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards or the U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Standards and bears a compliance label affixed by the original manufacturer which has not been altered.

If you wish to import a used vehicle, you must be importing the vehicle for your personal use and you are the person who bought it new. A vehicle that was manufactured to meet the safety standards of a country other than the U.S. or Canada cannot be imported unless the vehicle is 15 years or older.

Vehicles are duty-free, but may be subject to local taxes. Vehicles over 15 years old are subject to different regulations and costly modifications may be required. Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety and Emission control regulations apply.

Importation of used or second-hand vehicles Memorandum D9-1-11

What items are restricted from importing into Canada?

Some items are restricted from importation into Canada, examples are firearms and weapons (check below links to the Canadian Firearms Program to get more information if you may import your firearm), explosives, fireworks and ammunition, goods subject to import controls (such as clothing, handbags and textiles), food, plant, and animal products and related products, consumer products (such as baby walkers and jequirity beans), endangered species, obscenity, hate propaganda, prescription drugs and certain antiquities.

More on restrictions here.

How to import firearms into Canada

If you wish to export firearms from Australia contact the Australian Government Department of Defence and complete the Restricted Goods Permit for Export (RGP) form available on the right hand side of this page.

Also read the detailed guidance from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (Canadian Firearms Program information page). Be sure to contact them to inquire how to import a firearm and what types of firearms are permitted for import.

Tobacco and alcohol allowances

Importing alcohol and tobacco may be subject to heavy duties to prevent excessive importation, check the Moving back to Canada detailed guidance page for allowable limits and applicable duties/taxes.

You are allowed to import only one of the following amounts of alcohol free of duty and taxes:

  • 1.5 litres of wine
  • 1.14 litres of liquor
  • A total of 1.14 litres of wine and liquor
  • 24 x 355 milliliter of beer or ale (maximum of 8.5 litres)

Will I be taxed on shipping personal effects and household goods in Canada?

Duty-free entry with used household goods and personal effects is permitted as long as the returning citizen has lived outside of Canada for at least 12 months prior to moving and the goods have been owned and used for at least 6 months.

Timing of your Move and Tips

Moving to Canada can be stress free with the right planning, the right advice and the right people to move your world.

Can I use my Australian driver’s licence in Canada?

Yes you can, when swap your Australian licence with a Canadian driver’s licence.

It is also a good idea to bring your driver’s record and insurance record with you, this will help you get much better deals for car insurance in Canada.

Call your current insurance company and ask for a “history of claims” and they will issue you a letter stating how many claims you have had and how long you have been insured for. Anything over 6 years no claims history is an excellent no claim record. For a driver’s record contact your local RMS office, you can find your local RMS motor registry here.

Planning your move to Canada

Plan what you intend to ship to Canada, and how much space you will need for your move.

Capacities for common container sizes





20 ft (6.1 m)

8 ft (2.44 m)

8 ft 6 in (2.59 m)

1,360 cu ft (38.5 m3)

40 ft (12.2 m)
40 hc (12.2m)

8 ft (2.44 m)
8 ft (2.44 m)

8 ft 6 in (2.59 m)
9 ft 6 in (2.90 m)

2,372 cu ft (67.2 m3)
2,679 cu ft (75.9 m3)

If you require a larger 40 ft container we can organise a High Cube container which is 9 ft 6 inches in height.

Make a comprehensive list of items that you are moving overseas. 

You can use our packing list template here.

Plan in advance when you aim for your goods to arrive in Canada, average shipping transit time to destinations within Canada is typically between 40 and 50 days from the vessel departure, with vessel sailings weekly.

Make a booking with us at least 3-6 weeks prior from the date you intend to have your goods shipped. This will help reserve space on the container vessel with the optimal arrival date in Canada.

If possible, try to avoid weekends and public holidays for any container or LCL drop-off and pick-up, this minimizes unnecessary extra charges that can be avoided by planning correctly.

If you have decided to do the packing yourself, ensure all your goods are packed before the container arrives at your premise. If you require the container at your premise for a few days to load. We can plan with you the container delivery within the free period prior to vessel departure, thus avoiding possible extra hiring charges from the carrier. If you require us to do the packing for you, not a problem, we will arrange everything on time, every time!

Check that your chosen place of residence at the destination can handle the goods you wish to ship, packing goods yourself in the first place makes unpacking much easier at the other side.

Contact us, we are a team of professionals who will take care of all your shipping needs.

Unfortunately there is always a possibility of damage to any cargo or a mishap on the carrier vessel during transit, being adequately covered will put your shipping worries aside. If you wish to take out insurance cover for your goods (this is something that we always recommend our clients to do), think about what the actual replacement value of your goods are and insure them appropriately.

Moving Your World is an Australian based company which provides shipping services from Australia to Canada and world-wide. We have experienced staff who understand logistical and shipping side and can help you plan your move correctly with different options for shipping services to suit your needs.

We are committed to providing comprehensive, reliable shipping services at affordable prices. We provide obligation free consultation regarding your shipping and insurance needs.

Shipping and moving overseas to Canada is quick and easy with Moving Your World, contact us today for a free non-obligatory and hassle free quote.

Download Documents

BSF186 (Personal Effects Accounting Document)

Vehicle Importation into Canada CBSA Guide

RGP Form ( Firearms/Restricted Goods Permit Export from Australia )